Vegetarian chilli with avocado salsa
As of 21st March 2022 all major restrictions have been
lifted. Our task programme will continue as
From 1st April we have significantly increase the number of
volunteers permitted in our minibus. While full capacity won't be
achieved for a while yet, we hope this will make it easier for you
to come on task with us. Face-masks (unless exempt) will continue
to be required on our minibus.
Lateral flow testing is no longer generally available.
As before, volunteers who are experiencing symptoms should not
Being quick and easy to prepare, this tasty chilli is a tried and
tested meal for the first night of a residential after a long day's
- Equipment required
- Big pot and a mixing bowl
- Serve with:
Créme fraiche or plain yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 large yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped (carrots and courgettes are suitable pepper replacements)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 large, firm tomatoes
- 3 firm avocadoes
- 1 large red onion
- I bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Juice 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
To make the chilli:
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, peppers (or their replacements) and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add sugar and remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
To make the salsa:
- Skin the tomatoes, remove seeds then chop finely.
- Finely dice the avocadoes and onion.
- Combine everything together, add seasoning, lime juice, white wine vinegar and chopped coriander.