Louisa's spinach lasagne
As of 21st March 2022 all major restrictions have been
lifted. Our task programme will continue as
From 1st April we have significantly increased the number of
volunteers permitted in our minibus. We hope this will make it easier for you
to come on task with us. In line with guidance for public
transport, face masks are encouraged but are no longer required.
Lateral flow testing is no longer generally available.
As before, volunteers who are experiencing symptoms should not
Retaining the colours of the Italian flag, this is a refreshing veggie
take on a classic.
- 12, or or 10 with leftovers for lunch.
- Equipment required:
- Two large lasagne dishes.
For the filling:
- 3kg frozen chopped spinach
- 1.2kg low fat cottage cheese
- 200g grated parmesan cheese
- Pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
- 4 chopped medium onions
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1.6kg chopped tinned tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp mixed herbs
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- Approx. 400g lasagne
For the topping:
- 400g grated mozzarella cheese
- 100g grated parmesan cheese
Method for the cheese / spinach layers:
- Defrost the spinach (this can easily take 24 hours).
- Squeeze all the water out of the spinach. Discard the water.
- Mix the drained spinach with the cottage cheese and 200g of grated parmesan.
- Add the nutmeg and pepper to taste. Mix well.
Method for the tomato sauce layers:
- Fry the onions and garlic in the oil until starting to brown.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaves, mixed herbs and tomato puree. Mix well.
- Bring to the boil then turn down and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Layer spinach and cheese, lasagne, tomato sauce etc. Depending on the shape of the dishes you'll usually get about 3 lasagne layers but it doesn't matter so long as you end with a tomato sauce layer.
- Mix the mozzarella cheese with the 100g of grated parmesan and spread over the top of the lasagne(s).
- Bake at 180°C / gas mark 4 for 40 minutes.
- Serve with garlic bread and salad.