Hot potato and lentil curry
A meal in itself, this dish also benefits from rice and any curry
sides you happen to like. The level of heat can be varied to suit all
- 7 oz red lentils
- 1 pint water
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 fresh green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 2 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil and fry the cumin and mustard seeds until they start to crack.
- Fry the onion, garlic and chillies until starting to soften.
- Add the remaining spices and salt then fry for a further couple of minutes.
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes and lentils and fry for a short while.
- Add the water and lemon juice, bring to the boil and gently simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are just cooked. Churn a bit to break up the lentils.
- Serve with grilled / fried halloumi or saag paneer and rice.