Hot potato and lentil curry
As of 21st March 2022 all major restrictions have been
lifted. Our task programme will continue as
From 1st April we have significantly increased the number of
volunteers permitted in our minibus. We hope this will make it easier for you
to come on task with us. In line with guidance for public
transport, face masks are encouraged but are no longer required.
Lateral flow testing is no longer generally available.
As before, volunteers who are experiencing symptoms should not
A meal in itself, this dish also benefits from rice and any curry
sides you happen to like. The level of heat can be varied to suit all
- 7 oz red lentils
- 1 pint water
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 fresh green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 2 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil and fry the cumin and mustard seeds until they start to crack.
- Fry the onion, garlic and chillies until starting to soften.
- Add the remaining spices and salt then fry for a further couple of minutes.
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes and lentils and fry for a short while.
- Add the water and lemon juice, bring to the boil and gently simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are just cooked. Churn a bit to break up the lentils.
- Serve with grilled / fried halloumi or saag paneer and rice.